Oh dear. My attempts at making the monster dice bag have so far been disastrous.
It started ok – I worked out my plan of attack, found fur fabric and red and white felt, cut them to the appropriate sizes, got some googly eyes I’d purchased from ebay and was all set to go. It should be a fairly straight forward make, just sandwich white felt teeth between the fur and the red felt lining. Sew that together then seam the whole lot into a tube, close the fur end and most of the felt end, turn right side out and add in the eyes and a tube for the drawstring – should be done in half an hour. I’d even worked out plans for a removable tongue that would double as a mini pouch for pencils or special dice. Looking good.
Gary dug out the sewing machine for me from where it had been stashed when we moved here over a year ago (How can it have been so long?) and that’s where the problems started.
First step should have been to wind a bobbin of appropriately coloured thread – but when I removed the housing there was no bobbin in the machine. And of course the box of accessories was nowhere to be found. So we jumped in the car and drove to the nearest haberdashery which had exactly one pack of bobbins on sale. So I bought those, some velcro, some snap fasteners and some cord and toggles and we came home again – only to find that the bobbins were the wrong size so we hadn’t solved the problem at all.
I then tried plan B which was to try and borrow one. Dawn had a couple lurking in the depths of her sewing box which turned out to be a reasonable fit so all was looking good – until I’d threaded the damn machine at which point I realised the foot was missing so it wouldn’t work anyway. Gah!
I’ve ordered replacement bobbins and foot from ebay – hopefully they will be here in a day or two and we can try again. For now though I’m just making chainmail